How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 17924
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

Just spotted a dead bee on my windows sill. I have two cats

This answer was rated:

Just spotted a dead bee on my windows sill. I have two cats at home. Both my husband and I work all day. Worried that one of my cats has been stung trying to kill it. It may have been a few hours as u only returned home an hour ago. Would my cats be displaying any type of discomfort by now.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that one of your cats may have been stung because you found a dead bee.
The good news is that even if one of your kitties were stung she may not have an allergic reaction to it. Not all cats have allergic reactions to bee stings, just like not all people have allergic reactions to stings.
In cases where allergic reactions occur we see hives (which in cats will look like upraised tufts of hair with a firm red, mosquito bite like reaction in the skin), facial swelling, difficulty breathing, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms usually show up within a few minutes to hours after the reaction. If Penny and Lucy remain normal for 12 hours odds are they will not have a systemic allergic reaction and remain fine.
If your girls seem perfectly normal I wouldn't do anything at this point other than observe them closely this evening.
If you start to see any facial swelling or hives you can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for cats) at 2mg to 4mg per kilogram of body weight or one half of a 25mg tablet per 4 to 8 kilograms of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.
Cats take a really high dose compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.
And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.
Then the swelling/hives should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.
In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. And that is very rare.
Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone, but if you notice progression of her symptoms don't wait, have her checked by an emergency clinic.
If she does have a reaction you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you