How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 22468
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

there, My Mums cat seems to be in a lot of pain. He

This answer was rated:

Hi there, My Mums cat seems to be in a lot of pain. He hasn't been eating for the past few days and when I went looking for him today he cried to let me know where to find him (which is very unlike him) he can't bear me touching him.. he wont eat a thing. He has lost weight..I am only home every few weeks, so can't tell you too much about past history

I wanted to add that we do also have a kitten that has cat aids, Im so worried he has that

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you finding him particularly painful in his abdomen/belly region?

Do you know when he last passed urine?

Any lameness or dragging his legs?

Any vomiting, retching, lip licking, drooling, or grinding his teeth?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, did you get my last reply?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, I don't think you got my reply to your questions. Basically the cat is in so much pain he won't let me near him, but I think the pain is in his abdomen. no limping, no lameless, no dragging of lets, no drooling, because he is an outdoor cat, I don't know when he last urined, Sorry, I think it really needs a vets examination .. it is just that it is Easter and difficult to get someone

Hi again Mary,

I have not gotten any reply, just ths one where you asked if I had.

Can you repost for me?
Hi Mary,

I have just seen your repost. I am quite worried about Spike.
Based on his signs (or lack of common ones that we'd be thinking about with his level of pain), I would be worried whether we have a blocked bladder but possibly GI blockage, twist, or even clot lodged and cutting off circulation to one of the abdominal organs.

I agree with you in this case that it is best to have him seen now (possibly even thinking about euthanasia if this is too severe). Since you are struggling to reach someone due to the holiday, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends.

Please take care & best wishes for Spike and yourself,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, just on a follow up..I brought Spike to an emergency vet last night., the poor cat had syringes full of puss and he now has septicemia. He can barely lift his head or feet despite overnight on antibiotics. I know you are going to suggest euthanasia..but I adore this cat, is there any chance at all? I want to give him every chance. Last night, vet said when I pressed him for all positives that if he survived the night that his lungs would have to be drained - this morning he thinks the cat hasn't the fight in him to take this on. I know all things suggest to put him down..I am looking for any chance at all

Good morning Mary,

Poor Spike!
I wouldn't necessarily advise euthanasia, just because a cat has a sepsis. I would only suggest it if he was in intractable pain, suffering, wasn't responding to treatment, or had a condition that we couldn't make better. So, it is very individual, their state, and the moment that decides if it is time.

Now in regards ***** ***** situation at hand:

Was the pus in his abdomen or the chest?

Is he hospitalized on IV fluids and IV antibiotics?

Did they test him for FIV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the reply. The chest I'm afraid. He is on IV antibiotic and I'm almost sure IV fluids also. He hasn't checked him yet for FIV and says if he is positive for that, there is certainly no point in keeping him alive, he wouldn't be able to fight with such a compromised immune system

You are welcome,

I am afraid that if he were FIV+, then the deck would be stacked against us since he'd have no immune system to help fight this off. And generally speaking, they just don't tend to make it in situations like this without one.

Otherwise, IV antibiotics, IV fluids, supportive care, and draining the pus are the mainstays of treatment at this point for his condition. Now if you want to give him every chance and the vet is not confident that Spike will respond, you can consider having him transferred to your nearest vet school or private specialty practice. They would be able to give him 24 hour care and potentially be better equipped to place a chest drain to drain this pus for him. It will completely depend on his current state to whether he could tolerate that level of invasive treatment but if he could it may make the difference to help get the infection out, while the antibiotics fight it off
bacteria. And draining that all away could just give him that fighting chance if he does have an immune system to work alongside us in this battle.

Please take care and best wishes for Spike,
Dr. B.
Dr. B. and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr. B...poor spike thou doesn't seem to be doing very well..even with all the care and antibiotics he seems to be going downhill. Two attempts to drain the puss is still not successful and vet fears there might be absenses - he hasn't FIV+ . I won't be transferring him, the local vetinary school is 100k away and the cat is presently with the vet 24 hours. Vet says he doesn't think we are winning. I'm heartbroken

Oh Mary, I am so sorry to hear that Spike isn't responding to treatment and that abscesses in the chest are suspect. These can be very difficult to treat (as the body walls off the infection trying to protect itself but at the same time makes it difficult to penetrate with antibiotics and clear). I wish Spike the best and do hope he started to respond. Still, I must say that if he doesn't improve with all you are doing, then we may have to make that unfortunate yet kindest decision.

My thoughts are with you in this difficult time,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would you believe he made it!!!!! a whopping, eye watering bill later but the little man has made it and we are all delighted, he is even home! Thanks for your advise...I was very close to saying to the vet to put him out of his misery, he is so not miserable now, he is back to his safe, familiar environment..I hope he doesn't do anything daft again, he so wants to get back out and about again.. but we need to keep him housebound for a few weeks while stitches, recovery, etc takes place. We are all very happy.

Good evening Mary,

That is great news!! Smile
I am so glad to hear that he has responded to treatment and recovered from what sounded to be a dire situation. Spike is truly a little fighter. And while he is already trying to tell you that he is ready to get back out into the world, I agree that he needs to stay in for a good wee bit to make sure he is 100% before doing so.

All the best to that wee cheeky monkey that gave us such a scare,
Dr. B.