How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 22584
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

Wonder if you could advice me on my 9 year old cat. She

This answer was rated:

Hi, wonder if you could advice me on my 9 year old cat. She has always been so healthy and alert but developed a limp about 3 weeks ago. It turned into an emergency around 10 days ago, a lot of pain and was admitted overnight. Vet did an x ray, no internal issues at all but saw small pot holes in hind leg and diagnosed bone infection, confident there was no cancer. She did have a very bad dog bite in same area around 3 months ago, treated at the time by vet and seemed to recover. Vet was not sure if connected. For the last 10 days she has been treated with antibiotics and anti inflammatory.
She is not as bad and seemed to be getting better in herself but but still very quiet, eating fairly normally for her. Still limping slightly.
This morning she seems even quieter than she has been over the last 10 days, she was shivering a little earlier and wants to be alone. Last antibiotic tomorrow.
Do you think she just needs time to recover, I don't want to panic and rush her to the emergency vet unnecessarily. Money is not really an issue, we will pay whatever but I still have a £600 bill to pay for the overnight stay and x ray from 10 days ago.
I want to get this right as 4 weeks ago we lost our beautiful 12 year old to liver failure and are still grieving that loss.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. If Jess had a bone infection, it is quite possible that she is going to need a longer course of treatment (antibiotics and anti-inflammatories) Often it can take weeks to get these settled. So, if she is still limping and not 100%, it'd be worth ringing her vet this morning and requesting further treatment to be dispensed for you to continue to treat her over the weekend. Otherwise, I would not be overly alarmed by this morning's signs, though they are both non-specific signs that she is feeling a bit off and rubbish this morning. It may be that she did a bit too much on the leg yesterday or could be feeling a bit off in general (ie because of a bit of stomach upset, or with the weather being a bit off suddenly, etc). So, I would advise contining her treatment, monitoring her current signs, and potentially offering her a heating pad or warm compress for that surely sore leg. The latter could just help reduce any muscle tenderness and discomfort for her and get her feeling a bit better. Finally, I would note that if you have any worry at all, you can consider having her seen this morning. Most practices here in the UK do have open morning surgeries this morning (some, like my own, even have all day open hours on the weekends), if you did wish to have her checked. Overall, I would give her more time and I would consider treating this for longer in Jess's case. So, do consider ringing her vet for continuation of the course +/- having a check if they are open this morning for peace of mind going into the weekend. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B. and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank-you for this, she has just eaten all of her breakfast and is on the bed now and looks a little more alert. I will give the vet a ring this morning and get some more meds for her.

You are very welcome, I am glad to hear that she is eating and comfortable now.That sounds like a perfect plan of action. Hopefully, we can cotninue to get her improving (as well as avoid any relapses over the weekend with no medication on hand).All the best to you both,Dr. B.