How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 22603
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

Our 7 year old cat has been suffering with vomiting and

This answer was rated:

Our 7 year old cat has been suffering with vomiting and loss of appetite. We took her to the vets a week ago and they took bloods and they came back normal, stating normal kidney function and the vet diagnosed a bug and gave her an antibiotic injection. She perked up for a couple of days but then went back to not eating much or drinking much and being a little sick. We've taken her back to the vets and they have now said that she has enlarged kidneys which has happened over a week and it may be a tumour. They took a sample from her kidney but we won't receive the results until Tuesday of next week as it's a bank holiday. She seems to have picked up today and is eating and drinking. I am concerned that the longer we leave it the worse she will get and if something could be done it should be done now, however they won't do anything until Tuesday as they say it's not an emergency case. Should we be concerned? is the likely prognosis bad?
Many thanks.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that your lass and these worries about her kidneys.

Now the reason your vets are not keen to treat blindly is because our main concerns are very different and require very different treatment. The 2 main concerns for enlarged kidneys that would need sampling for diagnosis are kidney infection and renal lymphoma (cancer). And I would note that while antibiotics for the former would not cause issue if the latter was present; starting chemo or high dose steroids as you would with cancer could be very dangerous if an infection were present instead. Therefore, while I know you are keen to get treatment underway, it is best to be patient (perhaps cover her with antibiotics until the results are back) in this situation.

In regards ***** ***** question on prognosis, I would note that infection would potentially be more treatable (so have a better prognosis), but renal lymphoma is one of the more chemo responsive cancers. So, even if we did see cancer confirmed, chemo or at least steroids (as they have some cytotoxic effects against lymphoma) could be used to give her a good quality of life for as long as possible.

With that all in mind, our focus over this weekend would be to aim to keep her stomach settled, keep her eating, and comfortable is key. If her appetite is poor, you can choose to offer a critical care diet (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, Clinicare liquid diet) or even kitten food to her. These can all be watered down to a gruel for ease of lapping or even syringe feeding. And each has more nutrition per bite to get more food into her even if she isn't eating as well as we'd like.

Otherwise, since you reported nausea and vomiting, we will want to also keep her stomach settled while awaiting these results. In regards ***** ***** you can speak to her vet about dispensing an antacid (ie Famotidine, Ranitidine, Cimetidine) or anti-nausea treatment (ie Metoclopramide, Zofran, oral Cerenia) to help keep her stomach settled. You could alternatively consider using OTC calcium carbonate (60-120mg per cat every 12 hours) but the others may be better if she has had some nausea.

Overall, I know that you are keen to address this for your lass as soon as possible. Still without those results, you would be rushing in blind and that could be dangerous if you started treating for cancer and it wasn't. So, we need to be patient and wait for those lab results. But in the meantime, you can request she continue the antibiotics, request anti-nausea treatments to keep her comfortable, and focus on keeping her eating, comfortable and settled until those results are in on Tuesday.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B. and 2 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your response. It has put my mind at rest until Tuesday and given me some good tips to care for her in the meantime.

You are very welcome, Gemma.

I am glad that I could provide a bit of peace of mind for you. I wish you both the best on this upcoming test results and keep up the good work on keeping your wee lass eating and comfortable over the holiday weekend.

Take care,
Dr. B.