Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

I am looking after a 12yr old tom cat. He is quite distressed

I am looking after a 12yr old tom cat. He is quite distressed when urinating. Some blood is evident in the urine. I think he has a UTI. Do I need to get him seen today. Or can it wait till the local vet is open on boxing day?
Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear this is going on with Simon.With the symptoms you are describing, I would highly recommend getting him examined as soon as you can. Abnormal urination can go along with a few things, including a UTI, bladder stones, cystitis (inflammation in the bladder), or a urinary blockage (can be a partial blockage where they are still passing some urine). All of these can be quite painful. If there is a urinary blockage (even a partial blockage), things can turn serious quickly. So, for these reasons, it would be best if you can get him into a veterinarian today.You can read more about abnormal urination in cats HERE. I hope this helps.Dr. Dave