Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My cat has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He is well at the

My cat has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He is well at the moment and takes an anticoagulant. My vet would like to give my cat an ultrasound every 6 months. Is this appropriate or is the scanning too frequent?
Many thanks.
Lisa
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
First, can you tell me if Fudge is already in heart failure? This is when fluid accumulates in his lungs, but generally responds to treatment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, he is very well at the moment.
Excellent. Then yes, this is very typical. We use clopidogrel (Plavix) to prevent clot formation, especially in those with an enlarged left atrium. Most cardiologists will recommend rechecking an echo every 6 months as yours has.
Since he has not exhibited any change, I think it would be reasonable to recheck annually, sooner if you notice any changes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's great thank you. Do you have any opinion on life expectancy?
I do expect it to be shortened, but since he is not in heart failure, I think he should be with your for at least a few more years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for your advice, most helpful.Best regards
Lisa
You're welcome. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/