How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 28341
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now

I am involved with a Cat Rescue Sanctuary in Cairo, Egypt.

Customer Question

I am involved with a Cat Rescue Sanctuary in Cairo, Egypt. We currently have a cat in care, which has been tortured and severely injured by children on the streets of Cairo. The kitten has had its hind legs cut down to the bone. Koky Ibraheem has rescued the kitten, which is now eating and drinking, but she has little faith in Egyptian Vets. Thd kitten has sponsors and a forever home waiting in the UK but will need to be well enough to travel, and pass all the health checks. Koky's Vet in Cairo has said that both hind legs will have to be amputated, but Koky is wondering if a British or American Vet would be able to save the legs, or at least avoid a total amputation ? I have some close-up photos of the injured kitten, so perhaps it might be possible to reassess the injuries, and suggest the best treatment, or interim treatment to get the little kitten to the UK. The kitten is being treated with antibiotics and pain killers. How could I email you the photos ? Yours, Maxine Handy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon Maxine and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet kitten. It sounds so terrible!! It will be very difficult, even with pictures, for any vet to know whether they could save the legs or not or maybe one leg. It would be better if you could continue to treat the kitten, Maxine, and wrap the legs after treatment with antibiotics and send the kitten with the parents to the US or UK and then the vets could give you a good evaluation. The quicker this is done, the better, of course, since there may be compromised blood supply that is crucial for this sweet kitten to survive with at least 3 legs if not 4.

Does that make sense to you, Maxine?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****