Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 13 year old cat has been on thyroid medication for 3

My 13 year old cat has been on thyroid medication for 3 years 2.5mg twice a day. I took her to the vets last week as she was eating ok but getting very thin. They tested her thyroid and it had gone up to 118. Apart from that they said she was very healthy and to give her 5mg in morning and 2.5mg evening. And bring her back in 3 weeks. How long will it take for her to put on weight. I am worried she may still be losing some at moment. Thanks.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Ginger,

Now in regards ***** ***** question, it does depend on how quickly we get the thyroid levels back down to normal. If this dose is enough to do that, then we will see weight gain over the next few weeks. If it only partly dose, then we could still see some gain but she'd likely just tread at her current weight. Of course, if this is too low, then we may still see her loose. In all cases, since we do need to raise the dose slowly (which is why we start it, recheck in a few weeks and then adjust if need be) to avoid causing her to have too low a thyroid function, we do need to be patient. That said, if her vet ruled out any other health issues, you can sneak some more nutrition into her to help her weight along. To do this, you can feed her Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, kitten food or supplement with Nutrical paste. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And the more we get into her per bite, the more chance we have of getting weight back onto her as we let her medication start to help her with this overactive thyroid.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I just felt that she cant afford to lose any more weight. She is not ravenous and meowing for food like she was. She's eating ok but only about half as much as before and she's only been on new dose for 10 days, So I am hoping this is a good sign.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is quite positive and suggests that the dose is making a difference for her thyroid levels. So, we'd just want to use those calorie rich options as a sneaky way to get more into her and get some weight back on her quicker.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks I got some Royal canin sensitivity control meat before I knew it was Her thyroid again, would this be ok. I shall get some kitten food too. She also seems to be sleeping more. But that could be down to her being a bit hyper with the thyroid levels high.

You are very welcome,

The sleeping more isn't unexpected and should reduce as she stabilizes. Otherwise, the Sensitivity is not as calorie dense as the RC Recovery diet is. So, it would be fine to feed but isn't likely to get any more nutrition into her then her regular food. So, kitten food would be better for our getting more into her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took my cat back to vets today after she'd had a blood test for thyroid 5 weeks ago. It was 118 now it is down to 65, but today's blood test showed her kidneys were up, they said they check for 3 things on kidneys and one was up. Should this be something to worry about. She is on 5mg in morning and 2.5mg before she was on 2.5mg twice a day before blood test 5 weeks ago. They said to bring her back in 4 weeks. She's 13. Thanks.

Hi again,

It is something to be concerned about, since we don't see changes on blood urea/creatinine/phosphorus until ~75% of kidney function is lost. So, those changes are significant and we' want her vet to be treating her kidneys (ie using Semintra, phosphate binders, Azodyl, fluids, etc) as they treat her thyroid to keep her stable.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. The vet said it is a bit of a balancing act with her thyroid medication to get it right, she didnt want to up her thyroid medication because of kidneys and its best to treat thyroid. Bring her back in 4 weeks unless I see her drinking more or losing weight, vet said only one of kidney test showed up on t4 blood test. She said worth keeping eye on but not nothing to worry about yet.

Ok, well it depends which kidney parameter was up to whether its' significant. Though I'd note that you could have her vet send a sample to the Idexx lab for an SDMA test which is a new test that is more sensitive to kidney disease (it raises with just ~25% dysfunction so it tells us there is an issue sooner). Otherwise, it can certainly be a balance and often as we reduce that increased blood pressure (which strains the heart, and that is why treating the thyroid is most important) underlying kidney issues come to light. Though I would suggest keeping an eye as they noted but if we did check an SDMA and found that up as well, I'd be leaning to at least having her on Semintra for her kidneys as we treat her thyroid.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any foods I can feed her on that's best for no further kidney damage. Also can cats live for quite a while if as the vet said kidney function a bit higher than last time. I've been worried sick and upset since coming home from vets.

Yes, we can reduce protein/sodium/phosphorus levels in their diets to reduce kidney workload. There are some commercial options (ie Hills K/D, Royal Canin Renal) but some of the Felix Seniors are also quite low in these so its worth a comparison to find one that will help her but most importantly that she will eat.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** like Felix so I will get her some senior of that brand. She is eating ok and not showing any signs of illness which is the most frustrating about it. Could she live a lot longer if her kidneys don't get any worse.

You are very welcome,

And its good that she is well in herself. Especially since that is the most important factor even more than any results. And if we can stabilize her kidneys, then she can still have time. Of course, some cats kidney issues progress rapidly but I can tell you that I treated my own cat a few years back for quite severe kidney issues and she was with us another 3 years. So, its good that this has been caught while she is feeling well and we'd want to make sure we take steps to keep it that way for as long as we are able. :)

Best wishes,

Dr .B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt and informative replies. The vet did say not to worry too much, it's just something they need to monitor and she is not losing any weight, in fact she'd put a little bit on when I took her today.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

That is good to hear that they don't think its severe and she's not had any weight loss. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.