Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 2yr old cat was in a fight last night, she is very

My 2yr old cat was in a fight last night , she is very lethargic this morning, she's limping but doesn't seem to be suffering pain on that leg. She also has a wound on her chest which bled last night but has now dried, she growls and swears if I try to go near it

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if Lucy was in a fight last night, then her signs aren't surprising. As the adrenaline has likely worn off, she is going to be feeling sore and bruised; which often makes them lethargic and quiet in the days afterwards. Though if she is limping, do have a close look for a bite or scratch would. They can be like looking for needles in a haystack, but if we find any wounds, then we will need to topically care for those and that chest one. To do so, we need to be flushing and cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). She needs to not be allowed to lick this (since her saliva will spread bacteria into the wound), so she may need an ecollar if she has wounds at both sites or a baby tshirt if its just her chest. Of course, any pus or swelling and we'd need antibiotcs from her vet.

Though if you struggle to do the above at all or if she keeps reacting as you noted (which is a pain sign just like her limping even if she is putting a brave face on for you), then we'd want to have her seen as soon as her vet is open (or vets in this country do offer out of hours care over the holiday if you ring them) for antibiotics but also kitty safe anti-inflammatories like Metacam (since human ones are cat toxic) and that way we can treat this from the inside out and get her settled post fight.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your advice, I have just tried to feel round her limping leg but can't find anything, I can try and bathe the wound but not sure she'll let me near and I don't want to upset her more than she is now! She is at the moment sitting on her bed looking very 'down' but she did purr slightly when I sat with her and stroked her! Do you think I'm safe to leave her til tomorrow when I can take her down to my vets. She hates her cat carrier which may make her worse.

You are very welcome,

Good, hopefully it is just a strain/bruising with that leg from her fight and will settle with rest. Otherwise, if she is absolutely resistant to topical treatment, then its fine to wait for her to see her vet tomorrow for systemic treatment (it would only be urgent if she was still bleeding with the wound).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again for your help, I now feel much less worried.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a peaceful weekend,

Dr. B.