Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We have two indoor Persian cats. They are aged 5. We have

Hello, we have two indoor Persian cats. They are aged 5. We have recently found a stray cat, which our vets have found a microchip. She is female aged 15. We have taken her into our property but she is being kept separately from our cats. We are concerned as we do not know her past medicals that she should not pass any disease i.e flu or FEV ( cat leukemia) to our cats. Should we be keeping her indoors at all or outside. There is no sharing of food bowls or litters trays. Our cats have also been vaccinated against cat leukemia although I'm informed this isn't 100% effective. Thank you.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you mean they didn't find a microchip?

Or if they did, was the owner not contactable?

How is Missy herself just now?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Missy is absolutely fine. They did find a microchip but the owners are not contactable. Please could you answer the question put to you

Hello again,

If Missy is well in herself and you do plan on keeping her, she will need to be isolated from the others in a different room for 2 weeks. This will give us enough incubation time to see if she were to break with flu signs and her being out of contact will avoid FIV/FeLV spread. Otherwise, you will of course want your vet to test for FIV/FeLV since they can be silent carriers before introducing her to the others and you could start her on vaccinations. And while we are fine to have her in a room on her own in the house, just make sure you are washing your hands and changing clothes between your kitties and her. Especially as you are the biggest risk of spread as opposed to her being in or out. So, that would be our plan of attack here. Of course, if you didn't plan to keep her, the vets should be able to help you find a rescue to take her on if need be.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you I really appreciate your quick response

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just one question finally. Can we carry the cat leukemia bug or FIV/ FELV on our clothes to our cats?

Hello again,

No, those two are not a risk of spread from you. Both are blood/saliva borne and are typically spread when kitties fight. So, they are worth checking for before everyone meets but you'd not risk spreading those two between the kitties.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you your knowledge is superb, thanks so much!

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Dr. B.