Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We are looking for a Siamese kitten and have been offered a

We are looking for a Siamese kitten and have been offered a 5 week old kitten when she is 12 weeks old. She has been diagnosed with a level 2 heart murmur. How will this affect her life span etc as an indoor cat

I am sorry to hear this kitten has a heart murmur. A heart murmur is not a disease, it is just an abnormal heart sound that can mean different things. She could even outgrow it; it could be gone when she is 12 weeks old.

The only way to know why she has a murmur, if it will shorten her life, if she will need to take medications all her life or not, is to learn what is causing the murmur. She may have a hole in her heart, she may have a malformed heart valve, or this could be an "innocent" murmur that is not a problem at all. Just listening to her heart and hearing a murmur is not enough information to predict her life span, etc.

If she still has the murmur at 12 weeks, an EKG and echocardiogram are the only way to know what is causing the murmur and if it is a dangerous problem or not. I hope this is the case of an "innocent" murmur and that it goes away on its own.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

Thanks for the great rating.