Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.

My 10 year old cat has little tumours in its ears that are

My 10 year old cat has little tumours in its ears that are not causing any problems. On the advice of my vet she had a ear ablation on one side which made her very ill for several months. She is better now, but still has tumours in the remaining ear. I'm very reluctant to let them operate on the second ear especially since she is well now and obviously another ablation would make her totally deaf. The pathology from the first operation showed totally benign ceruminous cystomatosis. Have you any advice for me?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have I any grounds for complaining that the first operation was unnecessary and instead a biopsy would have been more appropriate?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has no bleeding or discharge and no excessive scratching. The problem was only identified on a routine consultation. You can see a few little tumours around the ear canal.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please see here:

These cysts need not be addressed. There are no conservative therapies but you'll read that ablation of cysts via a carbon dioxide laser is the preferred treatment method; however, surgical excision, cryotherapy, and chemical cautery have been proposed as alternate treatments. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What symptoms would suggest to you that some sort of active treatment would be indicated? Is it only if she is distressed by it??

Yes, and should she become distressed, secondary infection should be considered. These cysts can proliferate to the point that they obstruct the ear canal not allowing normal drainage. Bacterial and yeast overgrowth then can arise. I suspect that's what prompted having the ablation performed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks that's very helpful

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.