Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a 17 year old cat who lost his voice 2 days ago. He

I have a 17 year old cat who lost his voice 2 days ago. He struggles to swallow but is still eating. I thought this morning he was getting better but seems to have worsened while I was at work. He had a similar issue a few months back, though after 2 days seemed fine.Should I try to get appointment tomorrow at vets or is lryingitis in cats common and something that heals on it's own?

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, you are right, it sounds like he does have laryngitis. Typically, their voice will get better within 1 week. Normally, I would recommend to wait it out. But, if you are seeing that he is having difficulty swallowing it is best to not wait and have him checked by your vet in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter