Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My cat had a swelling on his neck, I took him to the vet and

My cat had a swelling on his neck, I took him to the vet and his temperature was normal and she said his mouth looked fine inside. She gave him an antibiotic injection just in case. The swelling went but a day or 2 later he delveloped a cough, he was being sick as well. He is no longer being sick but the cough remains, he had a day of being a bit sleepy and not wanting to go out but now seems like his normal self, but he still has the cough. He's nearly 4, generally healthy. Do you think this needs another vet visit or is it something that will clear up?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

My apologies on your wait for a response.

I'm very sorry to hear about Graham's neck swelling, lethargy, and vomiting which have now resolved and a residual cough which has not.

My concern would be that he had some sort of penetrating wound trauma and there is something left behind compressing his airways, or in his airways, which is why he is continuing to cough.

I recommend a recheck and neck/chest radiographs and possibly an ultrasound of his neck where the swelling was located to try to determine why he is still coughing.

This isn't normal and if there is some sort of foreign material it should be removed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or how things go for him at his recheck.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There was no puncture wound on the site of the swelling, and was not causing him any pain, the vet at the time thought it may be an allegergic reaction. She also had no concerns he had swallowed anything when she checked his mouth. I have booked an appointment first thing on Monday morning though. Thank you

Sometimes there is so much swelling we don't see the original puncture wound. Or it is also possible for foreign material to travel through the body and then get stuck causing an inflammatory reaction at that point rather than the initial entry point.

If the swelling was on his neck she would have needed to sedate him and look down his throat/esophagus to see anything. Looking at his mouth would have been a good start, but may not show the trouble spot.

I am glad that this will be followed up on, as I do believe there is something there precipitating the cough.