Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is worrying me, he is a ragdoll kitten boy He's gone

Customer Question

Hi my cat is worrying me, he is a ragdoll kitten boy
He's gone really quiet not really purring at all and is sleeping a lot, also his right eye keeps shaking?
He looks old if that makes sense.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is eating and drinking and using the toilet, he doesn't go outside.
I'm worried he may be poisoned due to the flee products I've been using as we somehow got infested here.
The vet was the last one to administer flee treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify "his right eye keeps shaking" for me? Is the globe of his eye vibrating in the socket or is the globe flicking back and forth?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His eye is sort of shaking side to side inside the socket, it's not loose or anything, more like twitching or vibrating.

Thank you. You appear to be describing a pendular nystagmus. Please see here: https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/practice/nystagmus/congenital%20nystagmus.htm and scroll down to "Movie of pendular nystgmus in a partially Siamese cat" and let me know if this is what you're seeing. This is a congenital (present at birth) defect rather than reflecting a poisoning particularly if just one eye is affected.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did think that to be honest.. although the breeder did say that all of the kittens were vet checked and given the all clear, is he going to be ok or will he need treating?

This type of nystagmus rarely causes any clinical dysfunction. I'm more concerned that he's quieter than usual and sleeping a lot. Has that behavior persisted?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has been like that since we got him flee treated about 3 weeks ago, he is definitely quiet and sleeps a lot but is also eating really well and drinking lots

Can you tell me the product/active ingredient in that flea treatment, please? His eating and drinking well are positive prognostic signs.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know as they gave it him at the vets I'm afraid I didn't take any notice, sorry

I understand. It would be prudent to give the vet a call and tell the vet what you've seen since Bane was treated. The vet will know which side effects are common with the product that was given to Bane.