Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.

My cat has been losing fur I thought it may have been fleas

hello my cat has been losing fur I thought it may have been fleas so flead her as she had some and they went,
But still she is constantly licking her fur mainly where her nipples are and she is still losing fur on her back which has gone a lighter colour and paw and her belly has gone a little pink (unless that's her normal colour) just wondering if you could help? her behaviour seems normal and she is eating well ... Well more than well quite alot.Thankyou
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
her fur
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
daisy fur

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the photo. Although you've removed the fleas - please tell me which product you used and if you also treated your premises - it appears that Daisy developed a flea saliva allergy which is intensely pruritic (itchy) and results in these cats excoriating their haircoat and often their skin as well. This is best addressed with an antihistaminic glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone prescribed by Daisy's vet which should work like magic for Daisy.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I used flea treatment from the vets surgery,ah okay that is excellent I have managed to get her in at 5pm, what cost will I be looking at for the injection just so I can get an idea of how much to take with me thankyou

That's good to hear. I regret that I can't know what you'll be charged so always ask for a written estimate first. Perhaps a call into the surgery and asking what a typical exam and injection costs for a flea saliva allergy would be best. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
excellent thankyou for your help

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.