Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

We have a 7 year old oriental tabby Echo, he tries to mount

We have a 7 year old oriental tabby Echo, he tries to mount our siamese ,Bailey, they are both male and have been to our local vet who just doesn't understand that its a problem, it is happening everyday and it is quite distressing for Bailey and for us
we are at our wits end on what else to do, they have both been dressed
Could you give us any advise on what to do solve this problem?

I am sorry to hear about Echo bothering Bailey in this way. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does he just mount him, get on top of him, or is he acting as if he is trying to copulate (pelvic thrusts, penis out)?

I assume both cats are neutered.

The first thing I would do is to look for some physical problem with Echo. In addition to a complete physical examination, I would check his anal glands, and do a urinalysis.

Does anyone in the house use a topical hormone ointment?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His penis is out , he is holding him down
what is a topical hormone ointment?

I am very sorry but I can't make calls for the website. That offer did not come from me.

Sometimes hormone ointments are prescribed for people for "low T" and menopause. When these ointments are used in people, they sometimes get on their pets and cause hormone increases.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no one uses hormone ointments in the house

If no one in the house is on a prescription hormone ointment, then I would start with a check of his anal glands, and a urinalysis. If he has infected or impacted anal glands, or a UTI (urinary tract infection), that can cause inflammation that can lead to this kind of behavior.

Both cats are neutered, correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
they are both neutered

There may be prescription drugs such as Prozac that may stop this unwanted behavior, but I would first rule out UTI, anal gland problems, etc.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he also has a problem when he goes to poop,, he only goes every 2- 3 days, 6o% solid and 40% diahorrea, he usually poops outside his tray , the vet had done an x ray to check his intestine and everything was okay, he has a really good appetite

This pooping problem may be related to his mounting behavior. He may have inflammatory bowel disease (an Xray won't show this).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When he does poop there is a really strong odour and he can return to his tray with a bit of diahorrea and mucus, is this all related?

It could be. I would try to find and treat the cause of the diarrhea and see if it helps with the other problem. This might mean a course of antibiotics, a diet change, steroids to reduce inflammation in his intestines, B12 injections.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A year ago the vet suggested changing his diet to dry food he wouldn't eat it so he now gets fresh chicken and some dried treats there is no difference the problem is still the same

If he is allergic to chicken, that might be the problem. If he has inflammatory bowel disease, a diet change may not help; he would need prescription medication.

There are just so many things that cause cats to have diarrhea, and the treatment is different depending on the cause. I would start with things like examining a stool sample microscopically, considering an abdominal ultrasound, doing blood tests to check liver and pancreas function.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the last 6 months its been purely chicken and this problem occured even when he did eat some wet cat food, he did sometimes poop on our bed but what has stopped and now he does go to his tray even though he misses!

A diet change does not always help with diarrhea/colitis. He may need prescription medication.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for your advise, we have learnt so much from you, now we can go forward and get this problem sorted.

You are welcome! Please let me know how he is doing.