Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is not holding his tail up like he normally does. He

My cat is not holding his tail up like he normally does. He is holding it partly up but it is not erect, it's a bit curved in the middle. I cannot tell if he's anxious or in pain, he is eating, and I can stroke him and touch his tail but something's off.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Debbie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's difficult for me to visualize what you're describing. Please look at this link and let me know which tail posture you're seeing: https://www.google.com/search?q=tailp+position+in+cats&rlz=1C1RLNS_enUS773US773&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=MoEsGMCvj3pQTM%253A%252CbbSYT4vibX0SZM%252C_&usg=__bEiC8Tk103MOVSFncck4vbO3au0%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5zODuz4nYAhVDeSYKHblyDzIQ9QEIWDAG#imgrc=MoEsGMCvj3pQTM:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, so it's more like this - https://goo.gl/images/9DVR6C. I just wanted to see if it was behavioural (I'm afraid, something scared me) or if it could be health related. Seems to be eating, purring normally, he was playing last night, just the tail was really off from his normal high curly and sometimes quivering modes.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look at the link, please...

That image indicates a fearful, anxious cat. It's not a health issue but does prompt looking for what might be precipitating the behavior. It can be a challenge doing so as the sounds and odors of other animals may be coming from far away and undetectable by us but readily detected by our cats. Quivering in association with "normal high curly" means that he's pleased which would be consistent withi his eating and purring normally and playing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dr Salkin thank you for answering my question. I took my cat to the vet this morning as he was becoming distressed. Just so you know, it was hip pain that is causing this problem, likely arthritis. He's on NSAIDs now and seems to be slightly improved. I appreciate your time and responsiveness.

Thank you for the update, Debbie. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know and I appreciate your kind accept. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.