Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

My cat has just brushed up against some lillies and his face

My cat has just brushed up against some lillies and his face was covered in the stain from the pollen. I have washed the pollen off but the stain still remains. I have read that this can be poisonous. I did not see it happen but I does not look like he tried to clean himself before I washed him.
Do you think I need to take him to see the local vet?

I am sorry your cat came into contact with lily pollen. Do you know what kind of lilies? Some are more toxic than others.

My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help!

How long ago did this happen?

Just did some research, and washing the pollen with clear water should be sufficient.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's the Easter Lilly by the look of it. It happens around 30mins ago

The pollen can be as toxic as the plant, depending on the type of lily. Easter lilies are the worst.

I would keep washing; use some shampoo if needed.

Do you think any pollen was ingested?

Easter lilies can cause kidney failure, so if you want to treat really aggressively, I would start him on IV fluids, give activated charcoal, and monitor his kidney function, if you think he swallowed any pollen.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok but the earliest I can get him to a vet would be in the morning. I'm pretty sure he did not clean himself before I washed it off but cannot be 100% sure

If you washed it off, and continue to wash until the stain is gone, and he did not ingest any, he should be OK.

If he stops eating, starts to vomit, get him to your veterinarian. It might be a good idea to have blood tests tomorrow; if his kidney numbers are normal he is probably going to be OK.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok great thank you

I appreciate the great rating!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You have certainly put my mind at rest and I will call our vet in the morning :-)

Please let me know how he is doing.