Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10 month old British blue kitten was spayed yesterday.

Hi, my 10 month old British blue kitten was spayed yesterday. When I picked her up she had a small red mark under her scar and over the last 24 hours this has grown into more of a patch. Should I be worried or is this normal? Looks like a red bruise.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Shaz, I suspect that you're seeing a small bleed under the skin. Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

A small bleed is benign in the great majority of cases.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there Dr Salkin - thanks so much for getting back to me. I’ve attached a pic. It started yesterday with a thinner mark but as you can see it’s grown into a thicker patch now...

Thank you for the pic. It reveals bruising caused by bleeding under the skin. The blood will be resorbed. These can look worse before they get better. There's no need to have Fudge's vet look at this until it's time to have the stitches removed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok that’s really reassuring, thank you so much! She’s otherwise eating etc ok so that makes sense. Really appreciate your help.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.