Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 6 month old kitten was recently diagnosed with dermatitis

Customer Question

My 6 month old kitten was recently diagnosed with dermatitis following a biopsy of an abscess on his front right paw. He was treated with an anti-biotic. He has now started to limp and some of his claws remain extended. Can you recommend a suitable treatment as our last vet bill was in excess of £650 as we had not taken insurance out with him being so young.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Nick, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognize that "dermatitis" isn't a diagnosis. It simply means inflammation of the skin but doesn't tell us the cause of the inflammation. Can you tell me why an abscess would have been biopsied? Most abscesses in cats are due to bite wounds and simply lanced, flushed with an antimicrobial solution, and a systemic antibiotic prescribed. Can you upload a copy of the biopsy report? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Trigger's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and give me the link to it or you can photograph it and upload it as an image by using the paperclip or add file icon above your message box or by using an external app such as Dropbox.