Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 15 year of female cat is treated for over active thyroid,

Customer Question

My 15 year of female cat is treated for over active thyroid, my concern is the change in her behaviour and appetite.She sits on my worktop and has stopped greeting us as we enter the kitchen, apart from going out to toilet her interaction with us has gone and she appears to be losing her hearing.She has stopped eating over the past few days and feel we need to take her to the vets.
Can you advise me please.Susan Dawtry.
Thankyou
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Susan, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My primary concern in these cats is the uncovering of chronic renal insuffiency by treatment of the hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism - at least in its mild form - is protective of the kidneys which then receive a higher blood supply improving their function. When the hyperthyroidism is well-controlled, the kidneys revert to their natural state which in a 15 year old is most often functioning at 25% or less capacity. Hence, yes, Puzska needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect a complete physical exam to include fasted diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to be performed and you should know within 24 hours how Puzska might be helped. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.