Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have an 8 yr old cat which has lately started to collapse

I have an 8 yr old cat which has lately started to collapse on one side of its hind quarters and I am concerned it might be rheumatism or arthritis. He recovers in a few minutes and is able to walk quite normally afterwards and is otherwise healthy. The vet examined him and could find no problem. Is there any medication which would help him?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does he seem to favour the leg on the side he collapses on?

Does he seem stiff with them or perhaps stiff when he first gets up after resting?

When he collapsed, did he lose consciousness or pass urine/feces?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint?

Any joint swellings or puffiness?

Hello again,

I've seen your new question but am answering here so you are not charged twice.

Now I am glad to see he has not lost consciousness when collapsing as that would reduce worries of heart disease or seizures. With those aside, while its possible to see these types of situations with nerve inflammation I share your suspicion of arthritis here. And given that xray is our main diagnostic tool yet often impractical unless the affected animal has severe signs, I would suggest trialling Charlie on OTC joint supports (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 fish oils, Duralactin) for a few weeks. There are a number of OTC feline made options on the market and these can ease mild joint signs associated with arthritis. Of course, if he is struggling quite a bit and since he was just seen for this, you could ring his vet for them to dispense Metacam. This is a feline friendly anti-inflammatory that we can use to ease any joint discomfort for him and keep him from these collapses.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, he doesn't lose conciousness. I don't understand what you mean by favouring the leg on the side he collapses on. He tries to walk but it's in aa circle, and his tail goes onto the opposite side, stiff in a circle shape, as if to counterbalance. I tried to get back to you before but had to pay an additional £13 as well as the initial £11. Please can to ensure you credit me with this sum paid by Paypal? Your site does not give the choice of a live call via landline, which I would have preferred. I am 86 and not technical.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please ensure I do not have to lose the additional sum of £13 just because I was responding to your questions. Then I will star you.

Hello again,

No worries, I sent your second question (the second charge) back to customer service, so they should sort that for you. As I am sure you can understand, as a vet I don't handle the charging site of the site (and am not even credited until you leave feedback/a rating). But if there is any issue HERE is a link to them. Now just a moment as I reply to the rest of what you said.

Dr. B.

With regards ***** ***** I was just asking if he seems sore with the leg on that side generally?

Just further to his circling, is it always in one direction?

Does he keep his head tilted as well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
his circling is always in one direction - to his left. H does not tilt his head as well.

Ok, well I do still think its worth trying Metacam and joint supplements I mentioned above with Charlie but do make sure his vet knows he is circling in one direction. The reason is because when done compulsively it can be a sign of brain lesions (ie bleeds, infections, tumors, etc) in older cats. And that can be tricky to diagnose on exam alone (usually we need MRI) but if its inflammatory then Metacam could help with that as well.

All the best,

Dr. B

*********************************