Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Gizmo is 8 months old and has had recurring eye infections.

Hi, Gizmo is 8 months old and has had recurring eye infections. This has been sent off for testing & is confirmed to be feline chlamidophilia. He is currently being treated with 2x20mg ronaxan tablets a day. As this is the third time it has flared up, will this always continue or will he grow out of it? The vet suggested that I could choose to put him to sleep but this sounds very extreme, especially when he is eating, drinking & playing like a kitten should! Please advise me on anything I should/shouldn’t do?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gizmo. Doxycycline is still the antibiotic of choice for addressing Chlamydophila when dosed at 5 mg per pound of body weight once or twice daily for a minimum of 3-4 weeks. Instilling an oxytetracycline-containing ophthalmic ointment (Terramycin ophthalmic ointment*) thrice daily for that duration plus a couple of weeks following cessation of doxycycline therapy should hasten resolution of the infection. If these antibiotics aren't effective, azithromycin has good efficacy against chlamydophila. A single dose of 2.5 mg/lb of body weight provides useful concentrations of that antibiotic in the ocular tissues for at least 3 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

*http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think he will continue to keep getting this? And Is it ok to just keep treating it? Is there any need whatsoever to consider putting him to sleep?!!!

I don't believe he ever got rid of it. It either hasn't been treated long enough or azithromycin should be considered instead of doxycycline and administered for 3-4 weeks. No, Chlamydophila is rarely lethal unless my patient is immunocompromised by age or infection such as with the feline leukemia (FeLV) or feline immunodeficiency (FIV) virus. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much!

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.