Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has been suffering with skin patches that end up in

Hi my cat has been suffering with skin patches that end up in sores and they only seem to appear on the bottom half of his body.He is an outdoor cat. One patch is on the armpit,one on his front leg elbow,one next to his nipple.We have taken him to the vet but she cant figure out what it is and he has been given some steroid tablets which help for a bit but then they re appear on the same place.He is eating fine and we feed him good food wet and dry.He keeps licking the sores all the time.Could it be a dermatitis issue?They are slightly raised dry patches about 3cm big and when licked and sore they weep a little and bleed too.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these areas to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Dermatitis means inflammation of the skin which is present but doesn't tell us the cause of the inflammation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sure here you are

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The photo reveals an unusual epidermal collarette (roughly circular skin lesion) on feline skin. My two main differentials are an unusual dermatophyte (ringworm fungus) such as Trichophyton or epitheliotropic lymphoma and the eosinophilic dermatitis complex should always be a consideration as it can appear in many forms. I would fungal culture hairs from the periphery of lesions and if negative take a few skin biopsies and let my pathologist make the diagnosis for me. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is still on tablets for it and they are Prednidale Tabs 5mg so should we still wait until the course is finished?

The prednisolone can be very effective when addressing eosinophilic dermatitis, would temporarily improve the appearance of lymphoma but would worsen a fungal infection. You mentioned that the prednisolone helped for a bit but the skin lesions reappeared and so I would expect the same to occur this time around. There's no significant harm from finishing the prescription but if you didn't see complete resolution of the skin disorder after doing so, testing as I recommended should be considered.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you so much for your help.i will have to take him back to our vet to do the sample once the course is finished.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return. I'll be offline between 01/22-01/30.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great i will do indeed and if needed we can take things further.Many thanks

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.