Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

Yesterday my 21 year old cat had a stroke. She was dragging

Yesterday my 21 year old cat had a stroke. She was dragging her front leg, falling over and disorientated. She had been on vidalta for 5 years and her thyroid hyperactivity was well controlled. She was losing weight and was very pleased bthin but the blood tests always came back normal. I decided on euthanasia for my cat as she was so old and frail and I didn’t want her to suffer. However, the vet said that I could take her home for a few days to see if recovery occurred if I wanted to. I’m now haunted by the feeling that I made the wrong decision. Please could you tell me what you think.Best wishes,Sally

Hi Sally. I'm sorry to hear about your loss of Lucy. I'm going to be very honest here and say that your decision to let her go was a compassionate one. When a cat starts to have thrombus formation (strokes), they are in a bad way. The dragging of the front leg was most likely due to a clot going to the major vessel to that leg. More than likely it wasn't going to break down and further clots would be happening. This would cause her further distress and pain. While it is hard to let them go, please know that you helped her to be at peace. These cases typically don't do well at all and they suffer. It was a gift to her to let her go. I know it is hard on you, but she is still with you in spirit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I feel reassured that I did the right thing. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. That is all I needed. Best wishes, Sally

You helped her to be at peace. Thank you for being strong enough and loving her enough to do this.