Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has been on thyroid medication for 5 years. Can cats

My cat has been on thyroid medication for 5 years. Can cats live a long time on thiafeline. She's ok in herself and has regular check ups. She's nearly 15 and is on 5mg in morning and 2.5mg in evening. She lost a lot of weight initially but has been stable for a couple of years.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, the antithyroid drugs such as thiafeline (thiamazole) and methimazole are prescribed and safe for long-term use when addressing hyperthyroidism. There are contraindications to its use, however - pri***** *****ver disease, diabetes mellitus, autoimmune disease, blood platelet disorders (thrombocytopenia/lack of blood platelets, mainly), and disorders of white blood cells such as a lack of either the white blood cell neutrophil or lymphocyte. Having regular blood work at a frequency determined by Ginger's vet is important to make sure that none of the above has appeared. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks her last blood test came back ok for her organs health. The vet said her kidneys were declined a tiny bit but within normal range, then the next blood test her kidneys were improved. I feed her felix and a low phosphorus dry food. I had read somewhere that cats live on average 3-5 years on medication so I panicked a bit, but then heard it's normally dur to their age.

That's good to hear. Yes, renal insufficiency is inevitable at Ginger's advanced age. You're correct, longevity isn't predicated upon the drug but instead the fact that this disease is found mainly in older pets. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.