Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 14 yr old female cat had continual blood dripping from

My 14 yr old female cat had continual blood dripping from her
nose. Rat poisoning was rule out and a week of K vitamin
seem to cure the problem but was very poorly . She started to
improve but 2 days after the treatment finished the bleeding
started again. She had several blood test and went through the
mill but nothing showed up. The next move was to have a
head x ray but on the evening before her x ray her back legs
gave out from under her, she screamed out in pain or frustration I do not know. She was seen by emergency Vets and
was put to sleep. I cost me over £2000 in all but still do not know what her problem was. All this was 6 months ago and
still very upset about it.
Many Thanks

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. I was so sad reading your story. I can understand how this would bother you still months later.

Unfortunately to truly know she would have needed a necropsy (autopsy) but that is not possible. All we can do is guess. To link the hind end issue, crying out and the epistaxis (nose bleed) would make cancer or a tumor that metastasized (or affected the bone marrow) most likely. With lab work we would have ruled out a liver issue which can cause bleeding problems. Another possibility is heart issues without an overt murmur, which can lead to disseminated blood clots, high blood pressure and the signs that were seen.