Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has had a coloured gunk in one of her eye today.

Hi there. My cat has had a white coloured gunk in one of her eye today. There hasn’t been much, a few splodges and I’ve cleared some from across her eye - it may just be sleep but just wanted to check if it sounds like an infection. The eye isn’t bloody shot, she isn’t overly blinking and is eating/drinking/acting normal. My other part to the question is can you use chloramphenicol eye ointment 1% on a cat until I was able to get a vet appointment if it is an infection? Thanks!

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Kylie, choramphenicol ointment is a good choice for the eyes of cats because it's so broad spectrum an antibiotic which also addressed both Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila conjunctivitis. When the ointment reaches the nose and taste buds you're likely to see Maggie salivate and shake her head due to its bitterness, however! I can't confirm an infection from here but it's not unreasonable for you to instill that ointment thrice daily for three days and see how the eye responds. You might be able to avoid a vet visit. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Michael that’s very helpful - im a pharmacy technician so just wanted to be sure it’s not harmful before giving it a go! She has never had to go to a vet in her adult life since being neutered as a kitten so if it can clear up with that I didn’t want to put her through unnecessary stress! Thanks a lot!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

In general, 10 consecutive days of treatment is indicated for an infectious conjunctivitis.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Micheal! Just an update! Maggies eye didn’t get any worse, but I tried a few days of the ointment anyway and no more gunk now! So whatever it was it worked a treat for. Thanks for your advice

I never argue with success. Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.