Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 8 year old cat has completely lost her voice. It's

My 8 year old cat has completely lost her voice. It's happened before where it goes and comes back in a few days but this has lasted for nearly a month and I'm so worried.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Any other symptoms present? Sneezing, loss of appetite, etc?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, not that I can see. She throws up sometimes but that's from eating too fast
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello?

Sorry for the delay, I had an emergency come in.

I'd wonder about neurologic function, possible changes to the nerves of the larynx.

Inflammation (laryngitis) is also possible, but if that is the case it should be resolving soon.

Polyps could cause this, too, either benign or malignant.

Renal disease could possibly cause this as well.

Here is what I would do: see your veterinarian for basic blood work to rule out kidney issues or other metabolic cause. Then if everything is normal, if this continues for another month, I would consider referral for an MRI to check for polyps.

Ideally the MRI would be with a neurologist so that they could check for nerve function at the same time.

Blood work is not expensive, but everything beyond that is expensive, unfortunately, so if those are not an option and blood work is normal, I would try steroids and antibiotics to try treating for laryngitis and possible infection.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is polyps?

Polyps are just like they are in humans... they are little growths of tissue that can be benign or malignant.

In humans they occur most often in the colon, but in cats they occur in the resp tract.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tumours??

Yes, but they can be benign.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, would you consider it an emergency or would it just be a general appointment

Not an emergency at all. Especially if the cat is normal otherwise.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.