DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs Experience. Int. Med, Emerg, Ultrasound, General Practice
20798050

Following your advice last week I was persuaded to give the

Customer Question

Hi Paul
Following your advice last week I was persuaded to give the vet one more try for the fructose test. They told me that they weren’t confident of getting the blood from the back leg and so, after much deliberation, I agreed to them trying the jugular again, which was still visible without the need of further shaving. This time I had them come to us, at home, where Daisy is more at ease (at least until they came up the drive).Their attempts were unsuccessful so, to avoid further stress, they settled for a glucose test which, at 19.3, they said was high, even allowing for Daisy’s stress levels. They advised that it would be safe to increase the insulin dosage from 1 unit to 1.5 for one to two weeks followed by a further glucose test, when it was possible 2 units might be the final result. The vet explained that he was taking into account Daisy’s general health, her age and asthma in deciding to base his decision on this information and I do think I need to stop the excess stress this situation has caused.So I agreed to this course of action and am now ready to give her the first 1.5 unit dose (with honey pot at hand in case of a reaction).Could you please advise whether you think this is safe and whether there is a viable alternative.Thank you again.RegardsRichard
Category: Cat
Expert:  DocPaul replied 20 days ago.

I am okay with increasing it to 1.5 units twice daily :)

Paul