Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My Birman cat hasn’t eaten for about 5 days now. He’s

Customer Question

My Birman cat hasn’t eaten for about 5 days now. He’s drinking little bit of water.
I took him to vets on Thursday, they checked him over, said he wasn’t dehydrated and if he didn’t eat in the next day or so u should take him back for more exploratory tests.
I’ve been trying to get some baby food down him by syringe, but he’s getting such a small amount.
He’s very latharguc, not washing himself and just went wobbly when getting up.
It’s Sunday tomorrow, I’m worried he may not make it until Monday to see vet.
Hes 9 years approx, always had a very temperamental stomach/bowel movements. Often getting diorreah.
There’s a certain smell to him now, I can’t describe it, but it’s not normal for him. Please help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help or, instead, have returned Caspar to his vet for additional diagnostics. Sending a cat home that had been anorexic for 5 days without performing any testing in the hopes that he would begin to eat is not the standard of care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My dear little cat had to be put to sleep today, he had kidney failure and they said his reading for kidney functioning was off the chart. They told me this was ireversable and that his organs had begun to shut down. He was so weak he couldn’t stand, they’d kept him in the night before and flushed his kidneys and put him on a drip, they also gave him anti sickness jab, but think this was all too late.
I miss him so much!

My condolences for your loss of Casper. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.