Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat was dry heaving. I took her to the vets on 09/04/18.

Customer Question

My cat was dry heaving. I took her to the vets on 09/04/18. His hunch was this was because of new treats i had given her and potentially an allergy. He gave her an antibiotic injection and a 2 day steroid. She didnt dry heave since then. I took her back 2 days later on 11/04/18 and he gave her an antibiotic and a steroid again. This steroid was for 10 days. She is now drinking more water, which my vet told me is normal. She also seems lethargic. She is sleeping a lot and walking slowly, for small amounts of time. The receipt says she had 1ml betamox and 0.2ml dexafort. I searched online and it says dexafort can bring on lethargy. I phoned 2 emergency vets and they said this couldnt cause lethargy. What do you think?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I forgot to add. Since her last vet visit for a booster around 1-2 months ago and 09/04/18, she lost 5 percent of her body weight and then between 09/04/18 and 11/04/18, she lost a further 3.4 percent
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience.

Did your veterinarian do any testing to try to determine why it didn't clear the first time such as lab work (CBC, chemistry panel, urine check)? There are so many things that could cause dry heaving and now lethargy. However, it sounds like your vet was trying to treat for possible infection (bacterial). Perhaps this is not an infection, though.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The vet didnt take any samples. He thought it was an allergy so said he will give a steroid and then an antibiotic as a precaution. She dry heaved in the night again, last night. A very tiny small circle of sick came out but she was mainly wretching.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in a reply. If this persists through the weekend, then further testing is indicated. I am not sure I would jump to "allergies" with vomiting or dry heaving. I would be more concerned about ingestion of something that upset the system or is trapped in the digestive tract, or an organ issue (liver, kidney, pancreas). Therefore, the next step is some lab testing (CBC, chemistry panel and thyroid check) and then some radiographs (X-rays) if that is normal. She also would benefit by being on something to help with nausea. Over-the-counter you can easily try Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg at one-half tab once daily. No bad side effects and works great in some cats. You an start that with the medications she received.