Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a cat that was seen by a vet. blood test showed fiv

Customer Question

I have a cat that was seen by a vet. blood test showed fiv and high globulin 5.4 high His symptoms are eye issues right eye. loose stools, eating normal. no weight loss. but vet thinks he has fip. says no treatment for him. I think he may be misdiagnosing the cat. Ive read of toxoplasmosis . Would that show up in a blood test. 2.5 months ago symptoms the same. I am going for a second opinion tues. What test should i expect to the new vet to run.
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: tj
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about tj?
Customer: no but i have a question about the membership. I think i am already a member.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, there are quite a few changes in the complete blood count (CBC) and serum biochemical profile that can be seen with toxoplasmosis but clinical confirmation comes from serologic testing combined with clinical response to medications and exclusion of other causes for clinical signs. A new vet may elect ELISA testing for toxoplasmosis through his/her reference laboratory. A fourfold rise in immunoglobulin G over a 2-3 week period or a high IgM titer suggests active infection. Initiating therapy presumptively is reasonable and consists of the antibiotic clindamycin. Barring corneal ulceration, uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments - the "eye issues, right eye?) may be treated with 1% prednisolone acetate ophthalmic drops. In most cases, clinical signs of systemic illness usually begin to resolve within just 1-2 days after institution of therapy.

Can you upload a copy of all of TJ's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

For questions concerning membership please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us, or 1-***-***-****.