Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I'm a little concerned because one of her eyes is turning a

Customer Question

Hi! I'm a little concerned because one of her eyes is turning a deep gold-ish shade around the edges. I am sure that she never had this before
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She is about 7/8 years old and generally in good health. She just went to the vet for a check up about 4 months ago and everything was fine
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

A color change of the iris is most often associated with uveitis - inflammation of the iris and its attachments. Idiopathic (unknown cause) anterior uveitis is most common in the cat but we also consider infection (bacterial, viral, fungal, protozoan), lens-induced, hypertension, trauma, and neoplasia (cancer) in cats. It would be prudent to have her vet examine the entire eye at your earliest convenience. If her vet isn't comfortable performing such an exam, referral to a specialist veterinary opththalmologist (www.acvo.org) should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply! We're currently not home (and near her usual vet) right now, but I would be able to take her to her usual vet in about a week. Is it okay to wait that long for a exam or should I be attempting to find her a vet here?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is a photo of her with her normal eye on her left (the bright green) and the changed eye on her right (the gold-copper-brown)

As long as she's otherwise well and, in particular, not showing evidence of pain in that eye - tearing, blepherospasm (squinting), inflammation (erythema/redness) of any part of her eye - waiting a week shouldn't be critical. Thank you for the excellent photo. I see the color change and uveitis is likely (also supported by a miotic/smaller than normal pupil) but the cause is unclear at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.