Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Have old (14) male cat, that is limping on his left rear

Customer Question

Have old (14) male cat, that is limping on his left rear leg, which started one day without obvious injury but he was moving it in a strange way, as if it was uncomfortable for him, but he seemed to improve so that it wasn't very noticeable. I think he then had a fight about a couple of weeks later (he is a bit of a fighter) and was bitten on that leg causing it to swell. We took him to the vets, he was x-rayed and given antibiotics, they said they could not see any injuries other than possible bite marks, I asked if it could be a cruciate injury, but was told it was OK. I have the x-rays. He is still eating but his pelvis and back end is looking very skinny with his bones sticking out, his limp is less pronounced but he still favours one leg and doesn't like jumping up onto surfaces as he used to. He is considerably quieter than he used to be, I think there is still an underlying problem. One other noticeable thing, his bad (left) leg appears to be slightly pigeon toed when he walks and he has problems sitting in a normal position, he tends to sit with his left leg pointed out slightly.. I am happy to email someone the x-rays to get a second opinion.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Added some x-rays for information
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I don't see any bony changes in the left hind limb but positioning isn't adequate to properly assess William's coxofemoral joint (hip). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.