Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a growth coming out of her gum/mouth which has

My cat has a growth coming out of her gum/mouth which has slowly been getting bigger.
She still eats fine although at 19 years old, she is losing her sight and hearing.
Would you know what the growth is? And whether surgery is an option at her age?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the photos. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Regretfully, this appears to be a malignancy such as squamous cell carcinoma, fibrosarcoma, or amelanotic melanoma. Debulking these surgically is reasonable for her comfort but these cancers are likely to have already metastasized by the point at which this has grown and so palliation rather than cure should be assumed. Her vet will need to directly visualize all of her oral cavity to see if obvious metastases are present and then recommend an appropriate course of action. I fear that her age and overall health will be a contraindication to general anesthesia and surgery and, if so, euthanasia might be considered a kindness. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your quick review & response.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.