Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat about a week ago started dry heaving but nothing ever

Hi my cat about a week ago started dry heaving but nothing ever came out and I recently haven't heard him. Now his meow sounds hoarse
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: Hi my cat about a week ago started dry heaving but nothing ever came out and I recently haven't heard him. Now his meow sounds hoarse
Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Nowhere in particular. I touched him everywhere and he doesn't seem in discomfort
Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No besides his meow
Assistant: Is your cat eating normally?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your cat having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No
Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your cat behaving differently?
Customer: He's pretty much the same
Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Salem 2 years
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Salem?
Customer: That's it

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear about this problem with your cat. It sounds as though Salem may be suffering from a slight upper respiratory tract infection (I.e a 'sore throat'). These are fairly common in young cats and are usually caused by a virus. In most cases these will often self resolve but can take a couple of weeks to fully go away. If his eating or drinking become affected or the symptoms persist for a long time, then it would be worth taking him to the vets to rule out anything more serious, they may also prescribe some anti inflammatory medications to help ease things for him.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Hi just checking how your cat is getting on now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Better! Thank you!!

Glad to hear it