Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I bought a kitten, Norwegian forest cat, when was 13 weeks

hi, I bought a kitten, Norwegian forest cat, when was 13 weeks old, on 8 June, the last vaccination was on 3 June. The vaccinations are - Feline infectious enteritis and Cat "flu". next day I notice that the kitten sneezing, coughing and conjunctivitis.......when sleeping the kitten has very fast breathing-between 50-70 for 1 min. but he plays, runs, eats....all is normal.
tests were done for Fiv, Felv... chlamydia and infection in the eyes. all exams are negative. in the eyes only is beta-hemolytic Staphylococcus bacteria. I gave him CLOROGEN EYE DROPS 0.5% for 5 days and in both eyes for 9 days. NO EFFECT.A couple of days after his arriving at home, my another cat start to have diarrhea, but the kitten didn't has. I gave him panacur for 5 days.no exams.please, advice

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok thank you

Sorry to hear that your kitten is unwell. Do you know if feline herpes virus was tested for along with the other tests you mention?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
is tested is negativ

Ok and was a sensitivity panel done for the bacteria cultured?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

And it was sensitive to chloramphenicol? The bacteria infection is likely secondary to another underlying cause and identifying that will be key to resolving the issue. Were the eyes stained for ulcers at the time of the exam?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
sensitive at chloramphenicol
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
in the time the staining of the eyes the exam is fine
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
is done not fine, sorry , i dont speak english well

Ok, that's ok! Are there still respiratory signs such as coughing/sneezing? Also was mycoplasma tested for?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
not tested for mycoplasma, coughing last time we see is tree days ago, usually made it after wake up, sneezing sometimes with reverse 1 time

Ok, well especially with the coughing I would be concerned about mycoplasma here. This again can be secondary to viral causes (the test for herpes virus can give false negatives).

I think I would suggest a course of oral antibiotics (amoxacillin-clavulanate) for 2 weeks to see if that resolves the problem and to.prevent worsening of the respiratory signs.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you