Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

Every time my cat eats she is hitting her mouth as if

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: every time my cat eats she is hitting her mouth as if something is stuck and then she falls down..she is 22 yrs old...please help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sasha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: no she has had no problems in all the time she has been on this earth
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sasha. Sasha is pawing at pain in her oral cavity caused by a tooth root abscess, resorptive lesion (which looks like a cavity but is caused by a different disease process), stomatitis (general inflammation of the mucous membranes inside her oral cavity), or perhaps neoplasia (cancer) - most common is squamous cell carcinoma. She falls because her pawing unbalances her at her age. We wouldn't expect falling in a much younger cat.

Sasha needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Her vet needs to directly visualize Sasha's oral cavity and then advise what needs to be done. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we will take her to the vet in the morning...thank you for your response... we fear the worst at her age...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there anything that could be done at her age...she is 104 cat lives...or would it be kinder to say goodbye..

I'm pleased to hear that Sasha will be attended to by her vet shortly. You're quite welcome. I understand your concern at this time.

Yes, but we'll know more in the morning. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi i won't call as we are so upset...but she is bleeding from the mouth but purring... we will take her to the vets when they are open..thank you..

Oh dear. Keep me posted, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for your advice...unfortunately we had to say goodbye to our Sasha yesterday, it was the kindest thing we could do as she was in so much pain. She had a very serious mouth infection with her teeth and she would not survive surgery at her age...She was a wonderful cat with a lovely character and we will remember the good times and what a lovely member of our family she was. Thank you again.

My condolences for your loss of Sasha. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.