Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Feral cat in my garden

Feral cat in my garden
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. How exactly can I help?
If you are concerned for the cat, the best option is to try and bring them to a local clinic such as the RSPCA to have them checked for a microchip and, if there is none, have them microchipped, vaccinated and rehomed (if suitable). If you are unable to bring them in a cat carrier yourself (perhaps by tempting them with food) you can contact your local animal charity who may be able to send an officer to collect the animal. If they are a true feral, they may set a trap.
If your concern is that you don't want them in your garden, you could try a few things. Deterrent sprays you spray around the border of your property can be very useful. The cat will also stop visiting fairly quickly if you make a loud noise (such as honk a horn or ring a bell) when they enter your garden.
Be sure you are not leaving any food out (e.g. for any animal you own or wildlife) that could be enticing the feral. This would include bird feed and bins.
If it is an ongoing issue with several cats, consider a secure fence or wiring around tour property.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m moving soon and want to take it with me, bless it’s only about 18 weeks. I’ve managed to strike it yesterday and today. Today I got a wormer treatment on. I’m going to apply flea treatment in a few days as I don’t want to apply too much at one go. I can see the spine quite prominently, poor thing. There are some missing patches of fur, is this fleas or mange?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Stroke not strike
Ah I see. It's great that you may be able to rehome it, though it is important to understand that this may be difficult if the cat is not socialised and not used to living indoors.
It's important it is brought to the vet (whether a charity or private clinic) to check for a microchip, perform a health check and also to neuter them and give them their vaccines.
A visible spine indicates a poor body condition and may be due to issues such as a lack of nutrition or parasites.
Missing fur is not specific and can occur for many reasons including fleas, mange, stress, allergies etc. Certainly a good quality flea treatment would be useful. It would be best to weigh the cat first to ensure the dose is appropriate.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the moment I can get it boxed I will take it straight to the vet. It’s still a bit feisty and I don’t want to risk being bitten as I’m pregnant. Also called several charities but none do my area. I’ll keep an eye on it. Thank you
Absolutely, take extra care during your pregnancy (and congratulations!). Its also worth mentioning that cat poo poses a risk of Toxoplasmosis so should not be handled. If you must to e.g. clean a litter tray, wear gloves and wash hands after (or better yet, ask someone else to do it!).
That's a shame about the charities. Depending on where you live, RSPCA, Celia Hammond and Cats Protection are 3 good places to start.
All the best, ***** *****