Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I am suffering with depression and anxiety and my cat keeps

I am suffering with depression and anxiety and my cat keeps running away from me. What can I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Dotty and she is 5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dotty?
Customer: No

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear about this, is this a new behaviour or something that has been happening for a while? Has anything changed in the home environment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, nothing has changed. I have been on a paid sabbatical from work and been depressed and anxious following and very stressful period at work. I have now prescribed medication. I am extremely upset that dotty keeps running away from me and staring at me. I want he to feel happy and safe at home and not to feel afraid of me.

Ok. I would just let her have her own space if she wants it, she will come to you if she feels comfortable - don't force the issue. Only give her attention if she initiates it, otherwise try to behave as normally around her as possible. If she enjoys playing then maybe try engaging this from a distance. A pheromone based product such as Feliway may be helpful if you feel stress or anxiety is part of the behaviour she is displaying.

See https://icatcare.org/advice/problem-behaviour/anxious-cats for some further tips.

I hope that helps?

Chris