How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chris Your Own Question
Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 615
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr Chris is online now

I’m worried I’ve overdosed my cat on Broadline. Despite both

This answer was rated:

Hello. I’m worried I’ve overdosed my cat on Broadline . Despite both cats being regularly treated they have ended up with quite bad fleas . I treated the whole house yesterday and gave my male cat his treatment with no issues but my female cat tried to run away so I held her while my teen son applied . Unfortunately he’s not very good with a struggling cat and pressed the plunger down too quickly resulting in the product just squirting all over my cats fur . I quickly wiped her fur with a damp cloth and re applied the pricier correctly myself but Im now worried I shouldn’t have done this . She’s run off outside looking very upset and I’m terrified I’ve poisoned her

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you

Could you tell me how much Lily weighs and what size Broardline you have used?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Lily weighs about 4.9 kg . She’s quite small but very chunky . I used the broadline for cats from 2.5 to 7.5 kg

Ok, that should be fine. There is quite a wide safety margin with Broardline, so even if she has received two doses (unlikely if the first dose mainly went on her fur) then you are unlikely to see any adverse effects

This is the exert from the datasheet regarding overdosing:

Safety has been demonstrated with up to 5 times the maximum exposure dose (i.e. up to 15 times the recommended dose) in healthy kittens aged 7 weeks and older treated up to 6 times at four-week intervals. It has also been confirmed in healthy adult cats treated 3 times at two-week intervals with up to 5 times the recommended dose. Mild and transient neurological signs such as ataxia, disorientation, apathy and pupil dilation may be observed, with spontaneous recovery the day after. Transient salivation and/or vomiting could also be observed, in both kittens and adult cats, in isolated cases.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that’s vey reassuring . Thank you very much

You're welcome

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Dr Chris and 5 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh gosh poor thing . Hopefully she won’t experience that . They were not due their treatment until months end but my vet said in cases of infestation it was best to treat again when the house was done
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Absolutely . Thank you for your advice

I would think those signs would be unlikely with such a low level overdose, but keep on eye on her for the next 24hrs just to be on the safe side