Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat had been in a cattery for the past 4 days. Picked him

Hi, my cat had been in a cattery for the past 4 days. Picked him up yesterday and he doesn’t seem himself, he drunk loads when we got him back home and he keeps opening and closing his mouth, almost as if he’s chewing something but isn’t. He just seems very quiet and sleepy. Wondering whether I should get him checked by a vet or whether he’s just adjusting to being back home?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: His name
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: is Jefferson. He’s just turned one, usually very playful but just isn’t at the moment. When we collected him he had something all over his face, tail and paws sort of sticky and smelly. Normally he keeps himself very clean and washes all the time but I had to sponge off whatever it was as he hadn’t cleaned himself.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
What type of Cattery were we in? Was it like a boarding facility? Is he current on vaccinations?
Were you able to ask the carrete people what may have been on the face ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, yes it was a boarding cattery for 4 days. Seemed like a nice place so not suggesting it’s anything they’ve done but just seems a little odd. He’s grey and white so whatever it was wasn’t coloured just took on the shade of his fur so white on his face and grey on his paws and tail. The lady that owns it said a couple of things, one that he had something on a cooling mat I left with him there, it was sort of a brown ish colour and smelt like the stuff on him but obviously not sure what it was. The second thing she said was that on Saturday he was sat up on the scratching post with his mouth open so she thought he seemed a little stressed so she went in and sat with him for a while. I’ve never noticed him doing that before. I haven’t asked what it is was on but got the impression she wasn’t sure.
Will he eat anything or drink anything this morning? Does he constantly try to “chew the air” with his mouth? Many times cats can get very stressed about things. Thos can give them different behaviors short term. If he is constantly moving the mouth back and forth if it would be possible to get a video of it and send to me I would be happy to review it also.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He ate both wet food and dry food last night and this morning and has actually been drinking more than usual. It’s as you say, as if he’s chewing air. I’ve looked in his mouth and it doesn’t appear any different than usual I suppose I’m just concerned by the mouth thing, the stuff he seemed to have on him and the fact he was sat with his mouth open on Saturday. I’m actually back at work now so canny take a video but based on what I’ve said would you suggest I call my vet or leave it for now?
If we had something stuck in the mouth. I have seen this with dogs getting bones or sticks stuck between there upper teeth. They typically do not eat or drink well. If he is eating and drinking well. This is a good sign. I would suggest seeing how he does today. If he keeps eating and drinking and feeling better. We should be in good shape. Also if he is stressed from being at the cattery. Taking him out of the house to a veterinarian visit will cause him more stres too.
You were not able to notice Any blood or abnormalities in the mouth? When he ate. Did he seem to have any pain or abnormality while eating ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No couldn’t see any bloody and he seems to be eating as he usually does, just fine.
That is great news about him eating fine and normally. This means that the inside of the mouth should be in good shape. He may be a bit irritated also from the stiff that was on the face. This may have caused a bit of the facial chewing moved. Is someone at home with him today?
I really feel if he keeps eating and drinking well. The mouth movements will subside. Really spoil him the next days with lots of TLC. More treats or canned food to keep him much happier and eating well will be most important. If for any reason he quits eating or not eating as well or drinking as well. Then we should be seen by a veterinarian. I will be available all throughout the day in the event you have other questions or concerns about the behavior or activity
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you I will keep a close eye on him and see how he gets on. Thanks for your help.
You are more than welcome. If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know. Have a great day. Dr Mike