Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have found a closed wound on his thigh. No vet until

I have found a closed wound on his thigh. No vet until Tuesday. He looks OK and is behaving normally. Can it wait?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No the bite is closed - it must have been yesterday. Can I use a disinfectant?
Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Omar. 15 months
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Omar?
Customer: No
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
Would you be able to send a clear photo of the lesion?
Does it appear to be an abscess (soft swelling)?
Does he go outside and do you think he may have had a fight with another cat?
Finally, is he eating/drinking and acting as normal?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No abscess no swelling. Has a cat flap. Was probably a fight with a local cat. Can it wait until Tuesday (small wound with dried blood) when my vet reopens or should I try to desinfect with surgical spirit. He seems fine. No swelling
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Should I try to desinfect with surgical spirit? Wound is already closed.
It is difficult for me to give you an accurate answer without actually seeing the wound.
If it is indeed just a very superficial scratch (similar to a graze you or I would get) and there is no evidence of infection (no redness of the skin around it, no swelling, no discharge, no smell) & if the skin is not open (i.e. no stitches are needed) then this should heal without complications quite quickly and a vet visit would not be needed unless things were to change.
Please do not use surgical spirit as this can damage healing tissue and will sting. Warm salty water is the best thing and you can gently bathe the skin twice daily.
It's vital he cannot lick at the area as this could introduce infection so if he is trying to lick consider using a buster collar and keeping him inside.
Though it is bank holiday, the majority of vets are open today as normal so even if your regular vet is closed, keep in mind that you would be able to see another local vet if anything changes.
Certainly, if a swelling/abscess develops or if he becomes unwell it is likely he will need a course of antibiotics.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 26 days ago.