Abby D
Abby D, Veterinary surgeon (BSc, BVetMed, MRCVS)
Experience:  An experienced small animal vet with particular expertise in emergency and critical care
106574542

Found a dried wound on cat’s thigh. Can it wait until Vet

Customer Question

Found a dried wound on cat’s thigh. Can it wait until Vet opens on Tuesday or should I try to disinfect with surgical spirit? He seems fine. The wound is not bleeding. About 2cms. Dried blood. Must have been yesterday or last night. He is 15 months old. In excellent health otherwise.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Abby D replied 26 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** for this question about your cat. Ideally wounds should be treated immediately but in cats that are out and about regularly they can easily be missed. Wounds usually heal quicker if they are stitched but if its not fresh your vet will need to clean and possibly debride it before doing this anyway. As long as its not too painful, not deep and there are no flaps of skin you may choose to let it heal naturally, however do not use surgical spirit for this. Hibiscrub, diluted to a very light pink with water is very good for wounds. You could also make a saline solution (250ml clean, boiled water mixed with 1tsp fine salt). First (if he allows you!) try to rinse the wound using a shower head/tap and cool water for a few minutes. Then bathe with hibiscrub or saline and dry well with a clean, lint-free cloth. You don't need to rinse again but bathe twice daily until its nearly healed.

Keep him in so you can monitor the wound, if its not looking better by Tuesday or if it smells, starts oozing or he’s licking it you’ll need to have it checked by your vet. He may need antibiotics or stitching. However healthy cats are good healers. If you can get a buster collar then do use one as if he licks it it may not heal.

I hope this answers your question?

Expert:  Abby D replied 21 days ago.
Hi, just seeing how your cat is doing? Is the wound starting to improve? Let me know if you have any further questions and please rate me if you are satisfied with my answer!