Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat has always been very timid eg, doesn’t like heights

My cat has always been very timid eg, doesn’t like heights or being picked up, hides all the time, almost stopped eating at one point and has stopped purring. I can’t even remember the last time I heard him purr. I bought in a female kitten to try and bring him out if himself but I’m not at all sure it’s working. He seems now to be always looking over his shoulder. I’m at my wits end
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Milo and he’s just 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?
Customer: He was the one in the litter getting left behind by the others
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Any underlying medical conditions? Medicines we are on? Any innapropriate urination or defecation?
Aré we still eating and drinking well?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
None of the abive
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
he's eating now but went through a stage at the beginning of the year when he almost stopped eating, this was before I got the kitten for him
Now we are eating better since the kitten ? Are we playing with the kitten too?
How many pets do you have total for him to interact with ?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Sometimes, but its mainly the kitten chasing Milo and Milo running away. Milo is standing up for himself a bit more
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Just Milo and kitten.. Gracie
That is good that Milo is Interacting more. How long ago did you get Gracie ?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I hot hee in May, she was 9 weeks old and started hissing and growling at Milo from the start, she's completely opposite in behaviour to Milo.... she's very much in your face little thing
How long have they been together. ?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Since may this year
This just may be the personality of Milo. If all health signs are good as they sound now. Things that may help. Have you ever offered cat nip?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
cat nip, cat grass, fellowway. I'm so worried about him, I forgot to say I live in a flat so they are indoor cats. Did I do the right thing in getting a kitten, she's very dominating?
Catnip can do much to help stimulate the brain more. This stimulation may help to get him to be more active and outgoing. It can come in toys, bags of catnip you can sprinkle on toys, play area, scratching pads. There is also a pheromone prodicgncalled Feliway. It can be sprayed on places or plugged into the wall to release the natural pheromones that can induce a feeling of happiness and well being into your cats
you have done the right thing getting a Kitty. It will help to slowly bring him out more. I have 15 rescue cats. I see thus with each of my own. They all have there own personality. In time they figure each other out better.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok so I should keep Gracie then?
you should. In time they will keep bonding. She will be his friend. She will also in time help to bring him out more by way of engaging him.
Gracie likes him?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
why has Milo stopped purring?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I think she does
I have had some of my cats actually just stop purring. My car Oscar in my profile picture here on JA quit purring at about 1 year of age. No reason. He is a very happy 7 year old now. He just does not purr. It does not mean they are not happy. Just some cats do not as much as others. You need to also look at his behavior as an overall guide of happiness. Not just the purring.
If he is also a bit more timid. If you remove Gracie from the house now. That may cause him more stress also. It may not appear to
You now. However they are binding. He may miss her greatly if she was gone. Cats are very much this way.
I will be happy to continue discussing this with you. Just let me know if there are more concerns for the behavior for you ?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
My impression of his behaviour is that he is depressed, he's not the happy cat that he uses to be
Cats can also have behavior changes like people. You have said you noticed no benefits with feliway le catnip?
I have had some cats over the years who have became depressed, like after an owner passes, or another cat they live with passes. In these cases I have had great success with a product called paroxetine. It is a medication from the human side. Works well, and very safe. It can help many times with different emotional state issues. Do you have a regular veterinarian that you could discuss this with ?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I have, I'll contact them. Thank you for your help
Any other questions I can help you with today ?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No thank you, that's all. I will now rate the service.
If you have any other questions or concerns. Please let me know. Best of success and have a wonderful day. Dr Mike