Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I do hope you can help as I'm desperate! I have a rescue

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I do hope you can help as I'm desperate! I have a rescue cat, approx 12 years old, who is feral. I am unable to take her to a vet, as she's absolutely petrified. She had cystitis when I first had her, which, after being scratched from head to toe when I tried to get her to the vet previously, I managed to control with Cystease. However, she is now coughing after eating, not bringing anything up and this has been going on for a few days. I have given her hairball treatment and 'phoned several vets trying to get antibiotic medication for her, as I fear she may have an infection of some sort. She sneezes occasionally, her eyes are clear and she's eating well. I'm just concerned (having looked online for reasons for a cat cough) that she has some kind of infection. She doesn't go out, ears a good diet for indoor cats, but is struggling with this cough after eating. I would be so grateful for your advice and any intervention you could offer to help her. Thank you, Sue.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Hi Paul, thank you, ***** *****'s nothing else, she's always been healthy, apart from the cystitis which she had when I first had her. I've been feeding her soft food but she's now doing this retching after that also. She seems alert and interested in her food and treats but a little lethargic, which I'm putting down to the heat. Many thanks again.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Have we been losing any weight ? Any looser stools ?
Can you see if there are bad teeth also ? Or lots of gingivitis ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hello Dr Mike, thanks for your response. All is fine in the litter tray department, no loose stools. I can't see any red/swollen gums and her teeth seem fine, she's crunching on treats but then makes this strange cough/quack sound afterwards.
Do we see any discharge from the nose or eyes ? Many times when they start to get this noise. It is from an infection in the sinuses or oral cavity. This is why I was interested about the oral health
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi again and sorry for delay in my response. There's no discharge from eyes or nose but she seems lethargic. Her eyes look bright and she's eating but there's this strange cough after eating anything. Thank you.

Hello, no problem. Are we eating and drinking today?

In cases like this, when I have somewhat hard to handle cats, cats that may not come everyday to receive medication I have had a lot of success in using an injectable antibiotic called Convenia, one injection lasts 14 days. For clients with these type of cats, they many times will use a live trap to capture the cat. Then they bring the live trap and the cat to the clinic. Then I adminster the injection and then the cat returns to the live trap, or I will give the injection in the live trap. Atleast this way the patient we know has received 14 days worth of antibiotics, such that if we disappear, for a few days. There will be continuous medication applied to the patient. You can ask your veterinarian ahead of time if this is a possibility.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help, this has been so useful. I am currently looking in to getting a humane live trap to get her examined and hopefully, the correct medication. Many thanks again.

I am happy to be able to help you. I have an extensive experience with feline issues and also cat rescues. If you ever need help, ideas, or advice on these topics. Please feel free to let me know. You can request which expert you want on this site. I wish you the best of success on all. Have a wonderful day. Dr. Mike