Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

My cat was spayed in April, the vet said her overie was

My cat was spayed in April, the vet said her overie was fluid filled and 5 times the size it should be , he did mention it might grow back which I didn’t understand, she recovered well, she is smaller than her sister but weighs a bit more, she has what feels like fluid sacs in her groin area which her sister doesn’t have, we are going to take her to the vets but wanted to be able to explain what happened when she was spayed as we can’t remember what the vet said and we can’t contact them as there was a fire in the surgery so it’s temporarily closed, what do you think was wrong during her spaying and do you think whatever was wrong has grown back?

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

It sounds as if the ovary were cystic but an ovariohysterectomy (spay) removes the ovary whether it was cystic or not. There's no reason for such an ovary to "grow back" unless the surgeon inadvertently left a piece of ovary in Smidge's abdomen prior to sewing her up. If that were the case, she'll come back into heat at any time during her life. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi thanks for the answer, he said it was a really tricky op but he didn’t have to open her up, however her sister is completely flat around the groin area between her back legs but smidge has what feels like 2 inch fluid filled sacs, she has not shown any signs of being in heat though

"Fluid filled sacs" are unclear to me. Can you upload a photo(s) of them to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
You would really need to feel them, you can’t really see them, she has an empty looking tummy like she has had kittens that her sister has never had
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It’s where I’m pointing, her sister is totally flat between her legs but right in that area on both sides smidge has lumps , the vet showed us a picture of her enlarged cyst ovary and it was like a water filled balloon about 2 inches long, that’s what it feels like

You're correct, I can't assess them from here but I can tell you that when such areas are bilaterally symmetrical, they represent normal anatomy. She may be forming a "primordial pouch" which you might have seen in great cats such as lions and tigers that develop "hanging down" pouches in that area. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I’ve just had a better feel and this feels squishy but also feels diagonal, it doesn’t feel like there is one either side

The only practical manner in which to determine what it represents is to needle aspirate it and examine the aspirate microscopically. You appear to be describing subcutaneous fat which isn't pathological.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok well I’ll take her in to the new vets and explain about her ovarian cyst and let them feel it and as you say they will possibly draw fluid , thanks for the help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No problem I appreciate the advice

It's my pleasure.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Just to let you know the vet said she thinks she’s just a bit chubby! She said it’s not a hernia as there is no hole and it doesn’t feel like anything other than fat, she is the one that eats the most dried food so I’m just going to reduce the amount I give them, I actually thought I was under feeding them, I’ve always had dogs so have no idea about cats but I’m learning, thanks again for your help

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.