Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cats pregnant we had her scan a week ago and they could

Hi my cats pregnant we had her scan a week ago and they could see the babies in side , we think her due date is on the 16th September , yesterday she started to hiss at people entering my house and that night was being sick badly is as if her food she eating is not digesting it’s coming up in huge lumps and a lot of it , this has also happened again tonight she not being sick during the day it’s only at night is this normal for a cat that is nearly about to drop
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tiger Lillie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: No that’s it
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
A big congratulations to Tiger Lilie!
As the fetuses grow, there will be less room in mum's abdomen in the last couple of weeks. This can mean they are less able to digest large meals. Vomiting can also occur with the natural hormonal changes and as the gut slows down.
As she has started vomiting, I would recommend feeding her little and often rather than in one big meal.
A high quality kitten food is best for mum as it has the extra nutrients she needs and she doesnt have to eat as much as she would if it were regular cat food. Dry food may be best for her as she needs less to meet her calorie requirements vs dry food.
Avoid treats/tit bits as they may be too rich for her.
Of course, it is always possible the vomiting is caused by something else entirely e.g. eating something she shouldn't have, a viral infection etc.
Monitor her closely. She should not be lethargic and should have a good appetite. Her poos should be formed and solid. Ensure she is drinking well and check her hydration by feeling her gums to see if they are wet.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I give her felix as good as it looks kitten food, she has a quarter of a pouch and I feed her little but often. She has dry biscuits through the day that she nibbles on. I don’t feed her any treats at the moment, I check her litter tray Daily and her poos are fine they are formed and not runny. She’s not been drinking as much water as she normally does but her gums are wet.
Is there anything else that could be causing this as she was sick again this morning around 5 and she had not eaten anything?
Absolutely there are other things that could be causing it. As mentioned, while the first suspicion would be that it is pregnancy related, there are many other things that can cause a cat to vomit.
Be sure to check the home/garden area for anything that she could be getting to such as toxic house plants, chemical cleaners, rubbish bins etc.
If she has picked up an infection (the immune system is lowered during pregnancy), she should be able to get over this quickly with some TLC and time at home as long as she is continuing to act normal, eat, drink etc.
If she was not wormed prior to mating, consider a parasite burden. It is always good to de-worm any pregnant cat that was not de-wormed before breeding. Please be advised, the only safe wormer to use is Panacur (Fenbendazole) and I would wait until the vomiting stops to give it to her in case she throws it up.
If the vomiting continues, feeding a very bland diet of boiled white chicken or fish and rice in 4-6 small meals a day for 3 days may help as it is very easy for cats to digest. If this settles her stomach, you can then gradually reintroduce the kitten food.
Consider a kitten food for sensitive stomachs such as Royal canin Ultra digestive health.
If these things do not work or if she is developing other symptoms, a vet check would be necessary to ensure there is nothing else going on. For example, they will examine her for any vulval discharge, mammary swelling, fever etc. They may also decide to give her some medication if needed.